Desert Rainbow Panorama

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Upon learning that rain was forecast for Anza Borrego Desert State Park, I booked a couple of nights in Borrego Springs last March and was not disappointed. It rained most of the time, including some showers on this bright morning. Morning rainbows are actually fairly common in this location when spring rains come through, so I drove the short distance out to the Hellhole Canyon trailhead and shot several images, later stitched together to make this pano.

Specific Feedback

The placement of the rainbow in the panorama was necessary to include Indian Head mountain at right, which towers over the park’s signature feature, Borrego Palm Canyon. Does it work?

Technical Details

Olympus EM1 Mark II, F8, 1/1250th, ISO 400, 22MM.

1 Like

James, the rainbow looks very good. I am somewhat surprised and the strength of the bow, since I don’t see a lot of rain falling. I find the centered Ocotillo to be quite distracting. I also see a number of large round spots, the size of which has me thinking that you had some water drops on your lens. The details in the desert and the mountains are very attractive.

Thanks Mark. The bow surprised me too. The showers were starting and stopping. I’m sure I enhanced the bow color a bit as well. As for the Ocotillo, I see your point. It competes with the rainbow as a subject. If I had calmed down and composed better, I could have shot this with a different lens and made the cacti a smaller foreground element. But if I had taken the time to calm down, the rainbow might have disappeared. Such are the travails of landscape shooters. And wildlife shooters.
Next time I’ll set up before sunrise with an umbrella for the camera and wait for the rainbows. As I noted, they are highly predictable in this location and in the morning when Borrego gets rain.