Desert Super Bloom

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A desert I’ve spent a lot of time in, Joshua Tree National Park typically is about photographing the amazing geometries of rock. THIS was different. So exhilarating to experience this cacophony of color, it was also a challenge to represent the pure scale of color and make it work. Does it?

Specific Feedback

I deliberately softened the focus in post processing, going for a Monet look in hopes of giving it more cohesion, less detail in a very detail dense scene.

Technical Details

Photographed with Sony A7RIII, at 82 mm, 400 ISO, f8 and 1/60 shutter speed, on a tripod

Agh Monet for sure. Lovely composition, ie kept a tiny bit of sky and I love the dead branch in the foreground. Its like a finger pointing you to the scene. The only bit that urks me a little is the dark bush left upper. Maybe lighten it a bit - may be bring it into balance. Beautiful. What time of year did you see this in JT?

**Thank you Loretta, I see what you mean about the tones in that bush. Funny how long one can look at an image and not see something. I’ll give it a try.
It was late March a few years ago……