Dinner Time on the Mountain

Happened upon this mountain goat family high in the Rocky Mountains above Breckenridge Colorado. Got lots of shots of the goats that day but the kid nursing was the keeper. I have discovered that 1/160 of a second is at the limit of handholding the big 300 f2.8 lens. Next time I will use a faster shutter speed. This one is sharp but other showed some motion blur.

What technical feedback would you like if any?Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 with 300 f2.8 1/160sec @f/9 ISO 80 hand held.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

kellyireland1955

1 Like

Fabulous family portrait. I wonder if Nanny in back is grandmother.
You could crop it a bit. The contrast in the sky layers draw my eye away a tad from the goats. Also shaved some left side and vignetted.

1 Like

Hi Kelly!
I think it is sharp, where matters and love the crisp fur of main subject. In this kind of setting you can do lot of experiments with the composition.
I may tone down the bright patch of snow in front of the goat or you can search your pictures where the snow is behind the goat.

Hi Kelly: You noted this was above Breckinridge. Was it at the top of Mt. Evans? Just curious. Lovely image and the little one nursing is really neat.

No. This is west of the divide above North Fork of Swan River on Wise Mountain. The Photo I have of Mount Evans shows the goat waiting to use the restroom.

I really like the clouds in your original post, but I might crop some off the bottom. Nice shot!

I definitely would not crop any tighter. I would go the other way and provide more context if you have it in the original frame.