Distant Beacon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Tillamook Rock is the home of the aptly named “Terrible Tilly” lighthouse. The light is no longer active but the rock remains a haven for seals and birds. (More images to come) I took this from my drone on its flight to the rock but liked the sense of isolation against sea and sky. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

I intentionally centered the horizon line and the lighthouse. Does that work for you?

Technical Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 100, 1/40 @ f1.7, 1/64 CPL

Amazing to see the lighthouse so remote from any actual landmass, or at least any visible land from this POV. Bill, I think the centering overall works just fine here. I feel the scene being entirely blue would make little difference of any rearranging of the water to sky ratio.
A fine look at a point for a water vessel obscure bollard… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Beautiful work. This reminds me of a Rothko. I would process this to make it an abstract of tonalities and see what happens.

I really like your use of space on this, the relative position of the horizon gives a real sense of distance, and I think it makes this image. I like the colour scale as well.

Bill, the reflection of the clouds in the middle of the sea make me think about a sand split where the lighthous stand. Original composition.

I think I would turn this into a black and white. It is very minimalist and the colors don’t do much for me and I think the tones could be punchier with a B&W version. Did you use a polarizer? There is a large portion of the sky that appears to be so much darker than the rest of the sky which usually happens when shooting with a wide angle lens and a polarizer. I love the fact that you centered the lighthouse. That works perfectly for this type of image and brings a sense of balance that you wouldn’t be able to attain if it where off center. I really like this image, Bill.