Lonely Outpost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My first morning on my Oregon coast trip found me in Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park. I wanted to fly my drone out to the decommissioned Tillamook Head Lighthouse. Conditions were pretty ideal with low winds but I was a little nervous flying over a couple miles over water. Turned out the drone performed flawlessly and this was one of the shots on the outbound flight. I’ve seen images of waves crashing over the top of the light and wonder how terrifying it would have been manning the light in one of those storms. Now it’s a haven for seals, sea lions and birds.

Technical Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 100, 1/100 @ f1.7, CPL

Bill, that is an amazing outpost. I thought my days of working at the very remote DEW Line stations in Alaska was out there. They would seem almost in civilization compared to this site. I could not imagine being perched out there for any length of time.
Your statement of the drone performing “flawlessly” is spot on.
A truly very impressive effort here… :raised_hand: A high five.

Hi Bill, this photograph, with all the ocean and sky, conveys the isolation and incipient danger of the place. Might be a tiny bit of pincushion distortion or slant in the horizon.

Great photo of “Terrible Tilly”. I have seen some close up shots of it, but they don’t show how isolated it is like this one. Looks like a bit of fog on the horizon about to move onto land. Nice shot.

Very cool! I love the view of isolation.

TWO MILES of range?? I need to catch up on this technology!

I love seeing the different perspective. We often picnic at Ecola and Terrible Tilly is a part of the wonderful view, but this is a totally different take from that. Great light you caught; it all comes together nicely.