Divergence

There are lots of wild roses hanging over the edge of Lewiston Reservoir in Trinity County (northern CA), and in the winter the rose hips are really something. The interplay of these two branches, one with a few remnants of leaves and the other with scattered rose hips, and the cloud reflection struck my fancy.

Specific Feedback Requested

I did some color adjustments on the water towards the bottom because it had more of a muddy brown hue, and I’m hoping that’s not obvious. And I’m wondering about the color palette in general - does it work? I really want to keep it in color because of the bright red rose hips, but if it makes you queasy, that’s ok. Any other critique always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 60mm, f/10, 1/100s, ISO 400.

1 Like

This works well for me. I can almost see you moving the camera left and right and up and down to get that cloud into that space between the plants. One thing I would do is remove the small yellow leaf from the branch with the red. The tone gradient of the blue works well here.

1 Like

Bonnie, this is nicely spare and wintry, especially with the cloud reflection. The sticks showing through the water at the bottom make the setting clear and the colors there look real.

An interesting image, Bonnie. It certainly elicits wintry feelings and a large part of that, I think, is due to the tonal gradient created by the water.

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov, @Mark_Seaver, and @Dennis_Plank for your comments. Yes, Igor, I did go up and down and back and forth to frame this - clouds were moving right along, too, so there were lots of options. I figured that little yellow bit on the right-hand branch wasn’t a big deal, but it does look better without it.

The title ‘Divergence’ adds nicely to the image. The yellow leaf on the LRC could also be the divergent aspect.

1 Like