Don't pass me over (edit)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

DSC04663-Enhanced-NR copy.tif (11.1 MB)
The rain had just ended so I took our puppy out for a potty break. As we were walking back to the house I spotted this beautiful leaf laying on the sidewalk with nearly perfect water droplers. The leaf was pleading to me “I may be down but I am not dead yet. Take my picture!”

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcome! I just really loved this image and did some minimal post processing (bnw, cropping and some noise reduction)

Technical Details

4 Likes

Wonderful!! I love water droplets on leaves and you found a very pleasing example. I think B/W works well here, too. My only thought would be to have just a slightly less tight crop, but that’s purely individual preference.

Thank you Diane!! Your suggestion made me laugh, because I kept cropping it tighter and tighter as I couldn’t decide😂

Hi Derika,
what a great find. All the droplets on that leat look great.

I agree with @Diane_Miller about the crop. I also miss a bit more space around the leaf.

In addition, I would like to see a little more sharpness in the image. There are so many nice details to explore, the droplets and all the structures in the leaf. But everything is looking a bit soft.
I would try to sharpen the image a bit.

Thank you @Jens_Ober! I appreciate your feedback. I posted my edit - Sharpened and re-cropped.

1 Like

Hi Derika,
your reworked image is just another level. That looks great.
You can really enjoy the beautiful structures in the leaf. And the water droplets look like I could touch them.

I also love your new crop. It gives the leaf enough space. And it makes a rough surface visible, which offers a great contrast to the soft shapes in the leaf and the droplets.

If I were to be picky, I might darken the bright areas at the edge of the image a little bit.
But the image is great as it is.

Hello Derika,

I can see why this one stopped you in your tracks - Great eye spotting this Indeed the drops on the single leaf were just begging to be photographed!

Of course I love the droplets on the leaf but also enjoying the veins and details of the leaf itself. I too was going to comment that I wished for some extra room around the leaf from your original post. And do think your new edit is an improvement in that regard.

With the looser crop, brought back some things that probably had you crop tight in the first place! And that would be the brighter rocks around the edge. I went ahead and did some quick edits to help describe my thoughts/suggestions. I took your edited version and cropped it back a little more, but not back to your original. Some of the leftover brighter rocks… I cloned/healed the brighter bottom rock, and then I painted/burned down the larger rocks in the UR area. Then going further added a vignette to increase attention on the leaf and water droplets. Also played with contrast and tones in ACR. This of course is a good example of subjectiveness and personal choice. No right or wrong versions here. My attempt was to bring full emphasis to the leaf/drops.

Thanks for sharing!

Best practice tip. Whenever one makes a change/edit to their image post, it’s recommend to ADD to your original post and not replace your original. This way, members can see both the original and the edited version and click back and forth between versions to compare. Here, if someone comes to view the image after you repost, then they can’t see or reference what we’re talking about with crops… Hope that makes sense. No worries, but something to consider for future posts.

2 Likes

@Lon_Overacker nailed it with the slightly looser crop, cleaner edges and increase in brightness!!

2 Likes

Thank you @Lon_Overacker for taking the time to make the edits and post your comments! The changes are subtle but very effective! Thank you also for the best practice tip. I did not mean to replace my original photo and I’m not sure what i did wrong. The interface isn’t the easiest to work with tbh. I will keep that in mind for the future.