Double Arch Icon

May of 2014 I did a four park tour in Utah. Obviously such images are far from original, although I couldn’t resist, because this was taken at ultra wide focal length. The sky was garbage, and so I did my best to make a reasonable match found elsewhere. Many of you likely are aware of its immense size, but still I included the figure for scale. Full frame.

E-5, Zuiko 7-14 (@7) on tripod, ISO 100 f5.6 at 0.0EV

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Bill,

I think you definitely made the most out of the available light/landscape elements. I’ve seen images from this area before but have never been so I appreciate you including a person for scale. The composition and dynamic range look well balanced to me, love the red/oranges tones of the shadows. The sky looks very natural, you did a great job with the replacement.

This looks good. The balance of light looks good. I like the detail in both the shadows and the highlights. The sky might be challenging, but it’s never “garbage.”

This looks very good to me also. I like the composition and the blue sky works well with the orange of the rock. Some of the shadows (the quarter tones) could perhaps be just a bit darker but that’s a matter of experimentation and personal taste.

1 Like

This is one of the more photographically challenging locations I’ve encountered over the years. Been playing with it for 25 years and I’m yet to find the right combo of light, shadow, sky and perspective I want. You’ve come a lot closer on your brief visit! For me it screams for something to add a sense of scale, and like you I’ve used people. Somehow your model’s location and position work very well for that.

Okay, okay, I admit it. I’m a wee bit jealous! :grin:

This is a strong composition, which offers a lot of movement despite being a photograph of a very still subject. I love it when that happens. The tones and colors look good to me … natural like the way they should be. The human element is a very nice touch … it immediately makes one realize how big these structures really are.

I like the sky as you have shown it here. It is what I’d expect from a desert location.

Great shot and I do like the figure in the image as it does at to the feeling of immensity.
All the best, Ingrid.