Dragon Fly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was walking in a local urban park when I spotted this dragon fly settled on the stalk of a lotus blossom. By the time I placed my camera on the tripod, added a 1.4 tele-extender to my 80-400 mm lens, the insect departed. It was still in the vicinity, so I waited and eventually it retook it’s place on the stem.

Specific Feedback

General critique on the composition, depth of field, sharpness of the insect.

Technical Details

Nikon D800e, 80-400 mm lens with 1.4 extender, f11, 1/50th second, ISO 100 on a tripod with cable release

1 Like

Paul, this is a fine, very colorful look at this male Blue Dasher, dragonfly. As you discovered, they quite often have favorite perches that they use over and over. I also like the background, that looks like it probably is a lotus leaf, but wonder about it’s size. I am also surprised that the color showing through the dragonfly’s wings is different from the background, since these dragonflies have mostly clear wings.

Thanks Mark. I didn’t do any thing to the wings other than a little sharpening.

I was wondering if the wings were acting a little like a clear glass by intensifying and sharpening the color behind them? Or even angled in such a way that they picked up some color from behind the dragonfly? In any case, neat shot!

Thank you for your critique. Paul Hetzel