Dreamland

I do not know if this will have any appeal, but I thought I would put it out there and see what you folks thought. This is another scene from Beaver Dam Pond from this past October. The 1.3 sec exposure was long enough to create a sense of motion with the swirling fog and impart this dream like mood to the image. This is a reflection shot which I rotated 180 degrees to change the perspective and hopefully make it a little different than the normal reflection. As always thanks for your thoughts.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 120 mm, f 16 @ 1.3 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed, I like these kind of experiments. It gives an other interpretation of things and makes photography more exiting. I will give it also a try , but in photoshop(because of the bad weather here). Thank’s for sharing .

I really like the concept with this one, but I find it just a little too “vague”, for lack of the right word. I would add a little more contrast, still leaving it quite dreamy and high key. My $0.02.

Ed, similar to @Harley_Goldman, I love the concept of what you were doing here, but find it a little too vague or diffuse looking for my taste. The hint of fall colors does not come through enough.

This image might be a candidate for a strong dose of Lightroom Dehaze. Normally I use Dehaze sparingly (if at all), often only adjusting images +5 to +7 at most. I did a rework of your image using Dehaze at +40, and increasing exposure +30 to counteract the darkening created by Dehaze. I then boosted saturation a bit too.

Ed,
I liked the concept and have tried it myself (was not brave enough to post the results here), I am glad you did though. I agree with @Harley_Goldman and @Ed_McGuirk and think it was a bit too vague. I do like the direction Ed took the rework.

Ed, I do like what @Ed_McGuirk did here. I would take that on and made some local adjustments to taste. @Lon_Overacker and you have inspired me to try something like this too!

Merry Christmas Ed! I love this! Ethereal was one of my first thoughts. I don’t know quite how to describe this, but that floating mist is front and center to the success of this image, imho. It’s almost as if there are two distinct planes; the implied movement of the mist and then the obscured autumn trees. I can understand the comments of “vagueness” but I see this as much more dynamic, almost 3D.

For me, the color/sat is just right. Bringing out the colors of the trees takes away from the presence of he mist.

This is just a wonderful abstract; kinda the opposite of an ICM - but with very similar impact and impressionism. Don’t know what else or how else to describe. But for sure I’m connecting with this one.

Lon

Ed, my initial impression was the image was a little “vague” so to speak. Then I looked at @Ed_McGuirk’s rework and liked it. Then I read @Lon_Overacker’s comments and think they have a lot of validity also, which made me appreciate your post more. Now I keep going back between the two. They’re both fine IMHO.
I think the trick to enjoying the image is to seat back in a chair and view from a distance and not " scrunched" up against the computer screen.

Here’s another vote for the rework which gives it just enough definition and colour to work. Great concept though!

Ed, it’s an interesting “experiment” and well worth trying again (of course, I’m a sucker for reflection abstracts…). I’m thinking that a bit more contrast would help, especially at the bottom, but Ed’s rework is too saturated. I don’t know what was there, but I also wonder about tilting the camera down just a bit more, so that the trunks start at the (what is now) bottom of the frame.