Drinking Spoonbill

This spoonbill was hanging out with some wood storks at a pond, and I caught this shot of him drinking. The reflection makes it look like he is staring at himself

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback is appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D90 with Nikon Dx 18-300
f/7.1, and 1/800 shutter speed
ISO 320
Taken late afternoon, so I darkened the grass and water slightly in Luminar 4

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Never seen one of these Scott. The color contrast is pretty good. The reflection came out well as well. The eyes look very sharp which is always a good thing. Beautiful photo.

1 Like

Thank you, Dean. I had never seen one until we moved to North FL. They hang out in the marshes around here,

Very nice shot, Scott! Exposure, colors and details are all excellent plus the reflection is a nice bonus. I, also, have never seen one of these so thank you for the photo!

I find this to be a very pleasing image. Serene setting. Colors, etc. all look great.

The thing I find off is it appears as though it needs a Clockwise rotation. Even if it is just an illusion based on angles, I sill want the wanter to be more level, and the leg he’s standing on to be more vertical.

Here’s a version rotated.

Thanks Keith. I see what you mean. I like the rotated version.

Very good, Scott. I love the pose and reflection and the exposure and focus look very good in this image. I do like Keith’s touch of rotation.