Driving into the Glacier

This from our trip to Iceland a couple of years ago, along the south coast on the Ring Road. I was struck by the warm colors of the vegetation along the side of the road contrasting with the cold view ahead. I was lucky that there was not much traffic as I pulled over.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. As expected the somewhat wide angle lens makes the mountains seem smaller

Technical Details

f/11, 1/400 sec, iso 100 at 24mm. Processed in LR and Ps

1 Like

Really nice shot here Richard. I love the perspective as the road gradually thins out and disappears in the distance, while drawing your eyes into the image. I like creating these same kind of images where you place yourself in the middle of the road-checking for oncoming cars first of course.

Thank you, Ted

A nice expansive landscape shot that clearly shows that it’s all about travel, Richard. The large version is particularly nice as it has more presence (a sense of being on the road yourself). When viewing the large version though it becomes apparent that much of the snow is overexposed and is missing some of the detail and texture that I would like to see. For shots with bright snow or clouds I always expose for the highlights as you can always bring up the brightness and detail in the darker parts of the image in processing with a curves adjustment. That way you get the best of both highlights and shadows. You can also take multiple shots with different exposures so that you can pick the best one later.

Gary, thanks for the critique. I think I’ll try to re-process the photo starting from a linear profile to see if I can recover the highlights