Duck Pond Damselfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I user fill flash when photographing small insects and as in this case, it brought out some subtle colors on the abdomen. I used three flashes set at different intensities so that shadows would still be present, but well lit.

Specific Feedback

The perch is a blackberry leave with dew droplets. I did not think much about this image until after I found it in my lightroom catalog. How do you feel about the comp?

Technical Details

Z9 200mm f4 micro (1/200 sec at f18, ISO 1600, 3 flashes for fill) DeNoise, crop for comp, levels.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Jim, this is a lovely look at this Fragile Forktail. He’s nice and sharp and you did pull some interesting details out of his abdomen, with those touches of blue (reflected sky light??). I am thinking that his abdomen colors are a bit too yellow. The dew adds extra interest in his perch.

Jim, you did a wonderful job with the lighting on this little guy. Wonderful details and nice BG as well as a nice perch.

Love the dewdrops and colours here. Tack-sharp and nice BG.
Not a nit from me -

Beautiful job on the Damselfly, Jim. I also like the upper part of the blackberry leaf. the only nit I have is the out of focus patch in the lower left and that’s pretty minor.

I’m curious about how you carry around a three flash setup that can be used without disturbing the critters.

Jim: Without you mentioning your flash set up I would have never guessed this was flashed. Great technique and I like the comp. The dew is icing on the cake. Really good work.>=))>