Damselfly in heavy dew!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I wish that I had my flash setup which would have slightly brightened up the damselfly and darkened the BG. Not a bad image for a warm Sunday morning by the Duck Pond.

Specific Feedback

Nothing really to day here.

Technical Details

Z9 200mm f4 (1/640 sec, f18, ISO 2500) Levels, DeNoise, Brightness & Contrast, Curves…Jim

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

@Jim_Zablotny, a wonderful capture. You were definitely there at the right time! The dewdrops on the grass are amazing. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

1 Like

Super!! Perfect subject alignment and amazing dewdrops! Flash might have been nice on the damsel but the leaves are probably better this way, with the softer light. Looks like a superb lens!

I should try to get out early on a dewy morning, although it’s probably too late in the season here in our dry climate – on several tries in past years I’ve never found either dragons or damsels perched from overnight.

Exquisite detail - not the tiniest nit from me!

Beautiful, Jim. Interesting that you got so much dew on what you describe as a warm morning, but I vaguely remember those humid Michigan summers (and don’t regret leaving them). The detail in this image is awesome.

Great view of this “damsel in distress” with all of the dewdrops all over it and the blade of grass. Nice detail. I agree with @Diane_Miller that flash may have been good for the damselfly, but may not have helped with the dewdrops. I really like the dewdrops along the edge of the grass blade behind the stem.

Thank you @Susanna_Euston , @Diane_Miller , @SandyR-B , @Dennis_Plank , and @Ed_Williams for your critiques. Cooler weather has returned to Michigan for now with much reduced dew. I do like having a soft, diffused fill flash for these guys, but natural lighting worked well here…Jim

Jim: Another spectacular dew shot. You’ve really mastered this subject. Just superb in every way. .=))>

1 Like

Jim, this is just amazing. You have mastered this subject. The dew drops are just icing on the cake. I would be thrilled to have got the Damselfly in such a pose, but I would be printing and hanging this on the wall if I had captured this shot! :+1: :+1:

1 Like