Damselfly with a Load of Dew

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We have been getting some very cool mornings where temperatures have dropped below the dewpoint. I was able to snag a few damselfly pictures before the dew evaporated. Damselflies will fly, but prefer to sit tight until the temps have warmed up enough tio evaporate the dew,

Specific Feedback

I knocked down the highlights quite a bit and gave it a slight crop for comp. How do youi like the overall image?

Technical Details

Z9 200mm f4 Micro (1/250 sec at f18, ISO 600, Fill flash at -2ev) DeNoise, Levels, Crop for comp, Shadows & Highlights to bump up shadoes on the top of the head…Jim

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Outstanding, Jim. You totally nailed this! The detail in the damselfly and the water droplets are spot on! Great shot!

Excellent! Tack-sharp where it’s important. Perfect POF for the 'fly, and the dewdrops are perfection.

Terrific image Jim… wonderful sharpness on the damselfly and I love the reflection in the dew drops. Well done.

Jim, this is an excellent shot, with the damsel and the dew drops near and on the head tack sharp.

Amazing shop, Jim, Great details and a soft background

Jim: Finding a damselfly or dragonfly with dew is one of my greatest desires so I really envy you the opportunity and even more so the result. Just a superbly crafted image of a wonderful subject. >=))>

Thank you @NPN_Editor for the EP and many thank you’s to @Bill_Fach , @Dean_Salman , @Mark_Seaver , @Allen_Sparks , @SandyR-B , and @linda_mellor. Mornings have been cool with lots of dew. Unfortunately I hurt my rotator cuff and cannot remove my right arm without experiencing intense pain. That’s what I get for putting up 7 cords of wood for winter. Went out this morning to test the arm and I gave up after snagging a few more damselflies.

1 Like

I’ll echo what everyone else has said here Jim. Nice, tack sharp shot with great interest of the dew drops. Congrats on the EP.

1 Like