Dueling Songbirds

Description:

Bright and sunny this morning and I had limited success at the feeders. Lower ISO (800) and 1/2500 second shutter speed worked well. American tree sparrows are slightly smaller in size than dark eyed juncos, but they never back down while dining! This has been good practice for me because I tend to go with safe shots of perched birds.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 600mm f4 (1/2500 sec, f8.0, ISO 800). Cropped for comp and I added some canvas on the right because the junco was too close to the edge. Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Hue and saturation for reduction of blues in shadows, Luminosity mask on midtones with curve adjustment, Brightness and Contrast.
Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

2 Likes

I love this photo! Such an awesome action shot! Well captured!

1 Like

Wonderful action, Jim, and a beautiful job on the exposure. You caught a couple of really excellent poses here. The little detail of the raised right foot on the sparrow adds so much energy to the image.
An excellent image.

2 Likes

You are getting some real slugfests here Jim. Excellent poses from both birds and at peak of action. Really nice composition as well.

1 Like

Delightful! Such energy and action with these little ones. I really need to put in some time practicing with our local birds too. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

This is wonderful!! Well shot and processed and the snow is a perfect setting! Keep at it!

1 Like

Great action shot between two species. I especially like the position of the junco. The snow makes for a nice canvas.

1 Like

Very cool action shot. Great timing. Lot of interest in the behavior. Well exposed with the brightness of light that you have. The blacks on the junco could probably be a tad darker but I’m happy with what I see.

1 Like

Oh wow, Jim, I don’t see how it can get any better than this! Two different birds, and the actions of each is really nice. That little sparrow is playing tough to keep all the food for herself. Like @Dennis_Plank said, that foot up on the sparrow really is a nice plus.

1 Like