Dynamic tension

This is an old one, but a favorite. It was taken looking straight down off a deck behind a building on Cannery Row in Monterey California. The dramatic interplay of rocks, surf & concrete made me take several shots, but this one has the best sense of movement. It also has about equal natural rock and the manmade hard surface and is in the best focus. Sometimes seals come and rest on the taller rocks nearby, but not when the tide is this high…too wild to let them nap.

I chose a square crop to reinforce the tension…to box things in. We often think of waves as being a wide open force. Something that can’t be contained. So I decided to try to contain one, if only in pixels.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything useful is welcome. Is it wave-like?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus E-30 DSLR
Zuiko D 12-60mm lens @ 24mm (48mm equiv.)
f/7.1 | 1/2 sec | ISO 400
Handheld…probably braced on the railing.

Lr processed for improved color balance & clarity. Local adjustment brush with a high dehaze setting in some of the surf. Sharpening & nr and of course the crop.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

I offer a flipped version…better??

Kris, the mix of action and still is quite intriguing and a touch disorienting. Definitely a change of pace. The original post fits better with the Western left to right reading style.