Swirling

Image 8
Stretching

Image 9
River Goddess

Image 10
Japanese Noh Figure

Project Description

For me, this series of abstract aerials of rivers made in early fall in Iceland suggests human dancers, auroras, and perhaps the yearning, expressive spirit of the landscape itself.

Self Critique

I am wondering what emotions these images evoke. Do you prefer having the somewhat less abstract images included or should the human figures be their own series.

Creative Direction

Not sure. Considering a show or an artist’s book.

Specific Feedback

I am new to aerial photography. Are these technically proficient?

Intent of the project

Gallery Exhibition

Alternate Images

Please provide feedback on whether any of these images would fit more cohesively in the project.

Alternate Image 1

Alternate Image 2

1 Like

These are so evocative. Just dropping this here and will return when I have more time to devote.

Thank you. Will look forward to your feedback.

Hi again Irene,

I didn’t forget about you, but wanted to have the time and mental energy to spend with your photos. Here are my thoughts and impressions as I slowly made my way through them -

The first puts me in mind of the ocean…very small waves rippling in to change the shape of the sand around my feet and make me feel off kilter.

The second reminds me of aurora borealis photos in its shifting nature and layering.The bottom part is a natural “horizon line” and helps cement this feeling of fire and air rather than water and earth.

The third is almost 3D - the effect of the contouring is something you feel as though you could touch.

Fourth & fifth feel rotated and skewed somehow - as if the plain isn’t straight and the field isn’t plumb. It’s also (oddly) the most literal in terms of recognizing what I’m really seeing.

The sixth reminds me of pools of water at the bottom of Carlsbad Caverns - some are subtly lit and the gentle gradients of color and light give it a similar depth even though the pool itself might only be a few inches deep.

The seventh is approaching a human form now…something more earthy and sensual than I’ve picked up on in the first 1/2 dozen photos.

The eighth is a dance - the ribbon of orange in the center feels as though lit from behind and that there is something hidden.

Nine is really getting close to the womanly shape that has been capturing imaginations for centuries. It is more a suggestion than a literal depiction, but we are so wired to look for that mother shape that we see it in a lot of things. This really carries the message of your project the most strongly.

Ten is chaotic mother. Mother at her wits end. Mother with too much on her plate.

I hope none of what I felt or saw jars you out of your intentions for this series. It’s powerful imagery and I see now that you saw auroras as well (I didn’t read your comments, only the title so that’s really cool!).

In terms of the human figures v. the pure abstracts, I think if you have more of them, using those might be a way to go as it could tie in the larger concept of the earth being our mother. They look technically proficient to me. Not totally tack sharp, but that’s not possible with something like this a lot of the time and I don’t think it’s necessary for the photos to be successful. These are about shape and color, line and the forces of nature. Such an excellent show they would make. Brava!

Dear Kristen,

Thank you SO much for your responsive and detailed feedback, which I will go over carefully soon. It sounds like you are saying the more human figures might work best together. I do have more. Thinking of an artist’s book called Earth My Body. I just got one of the abstracts (the Aurora one) printed on metal and feel a little disappointed in it as wall art. It feels confusing to the eye but on the screen I loved it. Feels too flat.

Anyway, I will go image by image and I really appreciate the time you took with this.

take good care, Irene

1 Like

What a wonderful collection of images. In some way they remind me of the images at Antelope Canyon except that the light is flatter. The shapes are reminiscent of the work of Georgia O’Keefe. I personally preferred to look at these as pure abstracts and not attempt to see body shapes. In that sense I felt that Japanese Noh Figure was included because of its reference and not quality. In my opinion Alternate Image 1 is superior to it purely as an image and I would replace one with the other. The other suggestion has to do with contrast. In a couple of images I might deepen the blacks just a bit - some of the flatter ones. That’s just a thought, I don’t know if that would make a positive difference actually. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks much, Igor. I will try out deepening the contrast a bit and see what I think. I appreciate your thoughts.