Eastern Meadowlark

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Just a touch more grass to the right?

Any pertinent technical details:

I also included the original with the top cropped out for size limits for reference.

Nikon D7100 ISO220
Nikkor 200-500 at 500
1/500th at f 5.6 hand held

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Greg, a wonderful look at this colorful meadowlark. To me there is nothing like being out in the field and listening to these guys. Truly the best of times hearing these in the background while photographing…:sunglasses:

Excellent job on the focus and stability to get that kind of image quality with as large a crop as you have on this one, Greg. I do think a touch more room on the right would be nice. Nice pose and excellent color.

Thanks Paul, It’s rare I could get a shot of them in the open. If I read the exif correctly this was about 75 feet.

Thanks for the critique Dennis. Here is a stretched version. Didn’t want to go back and reprocess anything so,
cropped this final image a touch larger to the right and bottom creating a slightly larger canvas.
filled using content aware fill.
You’re right, just this little bit makes a difference.

I do like the repost, Greg. Nice job.

You did a nice job but way too big a crop for me.

Thanks Dan, I think you are saying that the crop is to tight. Guilty, I tend to do that on occasions. By cropping to tight I loose the surrounding environment. I get hung up on max detail.

Good use of crop and you have plenty of room around the bird to try different cropping strategies. a little more room on the tail will improve the comp…Jim