Eastern U.S. Migrants in Costa Rica

Baltimore Oriole

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Tennessee Warbler

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It rained most of the day on the 17th and we spent the morning on the deck photographing mostly hummingbirds and Silky Flycatchers. The afternoon looked like it was drying out and we headed for the nearby Savegre valley to try to get a couple of species, but when we got there it was raining very heavily and the road we wanted to take wasn’t in decent condition, so we altered our plans and went to the Savegre Lodge and did some photographing in one of their gardens/feeding stations where we could shoot from under shelter. It seemed to be a magnet for Eastern U.S. migrants that I never see where I live. Here are the three that I saw there.

Specific Feedback

Anything you care to comment on.

Technical Details

All images taken with a Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC and monopod support.
Oriole: 840 mm, f/9, 1/640, iso 8000
Grosbeak: 840 mm, f/9, 1/640, iso 8000
Warbler: 840 mm, f/9, 1/250, iso 2000

PS & LR CC, NeatImage for noise reduction.

1 Like

Nice collection of birds Dennis. Good poses from each especially the grosbeak - love the over the shoulder look. The rain adds another element of interest. I’d crop some off the left (and top) in the warbler shot to eliminate the nail and the purple blob. Nice details in each bird. Well done.

Thanks for showing us our common summer birds in their winter quarters. I don’ think we get the warbler here, but the other two nest in or near the yard. I love the rain which adds to the feeling of tropical jungleyness.

Nice look at all three and the rain adds a nice element.

I like them all, Dennis. I think the warbler image could use a crop , on the top and bottom left. Nice to see that the rain wasn’t a deterrence.