Eastern Wood-pewee + Recrop

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These birds don’t make themselves easy to photograph. These small flycatchers perch on dead branches in the mid-canopy and sally out after flying insects. (All About Birds) This one is displaying classic behavior in a hackberry tree in my yard.

Specific Feedback

I’m wondering about the bright spots where the sun peeks through the canopy. I muted them with haze removal and a TK Selection plug-in for PhotoShop Elements. Too distracting?

Technical Details

pewee

Canon RF 100-500mm, handheld, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. See additional adjustments noted above. Topaz DeNoise

This was a difficult shot as the af couldn’t achieve enough contrast to focus. So, I was able to focus on a branch to the right of the frame, follow along it to the bird, and lock on.

Recrop

Good technique for getting the focus, Terry. The bright circles are a bit distracting, but not terribly so. You might try brightening the bird a bit to make it draw the eye more. Also, if you have the detail available you could try cropping tighter (bring the bottom up above the second fork and adjust the width appropriately). That would put more emphasis on the subject.

Hi Terry, I like your recrop and agree these birds don’t make photographing them easy. I don’t mind the highlights behind the bird so much in the second version. Nice catch.

A very nice job on the recropped image, Terry.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks for your comments and suggestions.

I really like the recrop too as I like the pops of light in the background and now there are not so many to be distracting.

Thanks @Robena.Sirett. I dislike cropping photos that tightly, but sometimes that’s the best answer.

I also think the re-crop emphasizes the bird a little better than the original. Nice color and detail. Good job

1 Like