Eastern Wood Pewee

A member of the family of Tyrant Flycatchers. I watched a handful of these in my yard today, flying out from their perches to hover over the grass and catch insects. They were sometimes coming so close to me they brushed my legs with their wings.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 300mm, f/6.7, ISO 2000, 1/1000 sec., Ev-0.5 step, Hand Held. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE for light and color tweaks.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Terry:

I think this image has potential. Great bird to get in the viewfinder in an open setting.

My very first reaction is that the crop is extremely tight and very narrow. The bird is just boxed in with no place to look. The OOF branch in the background was just unfortunate.

I took the image into Photoshop and added canvas on the left to give it more room, removed some from the top, cloned out the OOF branch and worked a bit on some tonal balance. Here is the result. Details in the bird are still not very good, but I don’t know how much was in the original versus what was left after your initial processing.

1 Like

The crop was tight, Keith. Trying to crop out other distractions. I could open it up a bit. There was not great detail in the bird from the beginning. He was sitting in deep shadow which accentuates the weakness of this particular lens. But you did a really nice job with it. Thanks!