Ebony Jewelwing

Ebony Jewelwing damselflies are challenging to photograph because of their darkness and their habit of hanging out around small creeks where there’s dappled sunlight. I’ve had a number of the immatures hanging out in my backyard, where the light is much easier to work with. Since there was no way to get the camera parallel to the damsel due to heavy growth, this is a 4 shot stack to maximize sharpness in the wings and throughout the body. If you look carefully, you’ll see that this male is missing a leg. (7D2, 180 mm macro, 1/160 s, f/10, iso 800, tripod)

2 Likes

Wow, Mark, what a shot. Beautiful colors in him. I love the curved leaf that he is perched on. Yup, I see he is missing a leg. Probably came real close to being lunch for something. I am amazed at the details and colors that you captured.

1 Like

A really fascinating photo. Excellent details and colors and, like Shirley, I like that slightly bent leaf he’s on. I’ve never tried photo stacking, so I don’t know how that helps. I imagine getting her to sit still so you can fire off several photos was the first challenge! Great ob.

Hi Mark, I love these damselflies - real beauties. The translucence through the wings is terrific. Love the colors too. Well done.

Mark: I guess one of the benefits of having six legs is that when you lose one there are ample “spares”. Terrific capture and a superbly crafted image. >=))>

Mark, terrific capture! Love the iridescent colors on his tail and translucent wings. The colors came off extremely well. Nice perch that makes composition.

Hi Mark,

Awesome job having one of them sit for you to get 4 shots off for stacking. Certainly, very worthy of an EP…Jim