Echinacea Pillow

I was watching and photographing this bee working her way around and up to the top of this Echinacea cone. She took a brief rest on top and then flew off to the next flower!

Specific Feedback Requested

I first cropped it just focusing on the bee, but I ended up liking this showing some of the other flowers in the background…any thoughts? Also any feedback on anything is appreciated!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 400
175mm
f/5
1/640

naturenessie

Vanessa, I like the oof bits of color from the other flowers. Getting the bee right at the top of the cone is a nice touch. I do wish for more depth-of-field, so that the orange “spikes” below the bee were sharp. I’m finding the stems in the background to be distracting. One possibility for reducing their presence would be to position the camera lower. That would lower the flowers behind and reduce the length of stems showing.

1 Like

Vanessa, I agree with Mark on his comments. Still not a bad shot, but I believe his advice will help you the next time you are out shooting a similar shot. I don’t always pay as much attention to the background in my viewfinder as I ought too, as I get all caught up in photographing the bee, or other subject, but the background is so important. I’m so looking forward to the bees and flowers in the yard again.

1 Like