Egret and Ibis

Close to sunset time this pair appear so close to each other that they attracted my attention for their beauty, pose, and differences. It was one of those times that you watch wildlife lost in time

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I take pictures when I go for regular walks with a small compact camera. It does not weigh much. Limited settings but with a manual capability and raw captures. I manage to work around the settings the best I can in low light. I wanted both birds in focus taking advantage of the low warm sun light.

Technical Details

Nikon Coolpix A1000
151 mm
1/200 sec
f/6.9
ISO 200

LR basic tonal, color, light contrast
Blurred the background and foreground intentionally to create more the feeling of a portrait

1 Like

Great to be able to get both birds together like this and both in focus. I like the warm tones in the image.

Thank you for your feedback, it helps a lot

Very exciting to get both birds in the frame. A very good image - especially for a compact camera. The whites in the birds could be toned down just a bit, if you have a mind to do so. But a very nice image, as presented.

Great!. Thanks!

1 Like

Marie, what a wonderful scene. This is more about nature’s drama than about the camera. I see this as a study of two species resting and watching the sun set. Each of them don’t seem to be bothered by the other. It’s a great image.

Wonderful. It helps a lot!

Hi Marie, to start with: I always like two different species in one images. The pose of the two birds works well here as well. I wonder why the aspect ratio? I usually love the ‘standard’ 3:2 - but maybe you had a special reason. Last thing is the color tone, on my monitor it looks a little too warm to my taste, I may be tempted to make a bit cooler. But then again, that’s just a personal preference :wink: . All in all a very pleasant image. Cheers, Hans

It is always good to listen to other’s preferences and expand one’s view. Thank you!

1 Like