Egret Pair

Egret pair on their nest

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Highlight lower right

Technical Details

Lumix S5

2 Likes

This is a beautiful photo. For me it evokes tenderness and communication between the birds. I love the colours and how the birds are framed by the darker green and then the softer warm background in the distance. The sharpness in the eyes and beaks are great…I haven’t seen egrets and didn’t realize they have green on their face. I find the area on the right unnecessary to the story and a bit bright in the lower corner. I wouldn’t mind a different aspect ratio with the right 20% cropped out and the birds centred.

1 Like

The light in this image is fabulous, Steve. The highlight in the lower right doesn’t bother me as it fits with the rest of the lighting quite nicely and doesn’t pull my eye. I do wish the beak of the one didn’t cross behind the neck of the other, but they rarely respond to direction from the photographer.

1 Like

Hi Steve, I like the lighting and mood of this image and the cropping to show more of the environment works for me. The berries in the vegetation adds another point of interest. well done.

1 Like

@Robena.Sirett Your thoughts on your crop?

Hi, I might bring in the right even more to centre the pair. The large branch on the right is distracting. Again its so subjective isn’ it?

1 Like

A very nice and intimate portrait of this pair of egrets. I lovely the colors, which remind of the paintings of the romantics. Your choice of framing/cut works for me, I don’t wish for the birds to be in a another part of the frame. Well done ! Hans

1 Like