Egret Checking Himself Out

Image Description

I just happen to capture this image as I was dropping off some art pieces for an exhibit. I had my camera with me as I was planning on stopping at a preserve on the way home, however this guy showed up in the canal by the gallery so I just took some images of him instead. This is one of my favorites from that afternoon.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I have been trying to get a good image of an Egret for a long time and this one literally flew into my view.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS R5. Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM @ 300 mm, f/5.6, 1/500 sec. ISO 100.

1 Like

Wonderful find and capture! It’s purely a matter of my taste, but I wonder about a version with the contrast a bit lower, especially with just a little more tonal detail in the dark BG.

I like this one as presented. Great reflection and I like the dark features of the water and BG…Jim

Thank you Diane.

Thank you, Jim. I think that the darker BG and water provides sufficient environmental information without distracting from the Egret or reflection. Bob

Nice details on the egret and the dark background creates an interesting mood. Reflection well seen and captured. Nice frame.

This is very nice. I like the pose and reflection and the darkness of the water to contrast with the egret. The whites look to be handled well with some nice detail. I’d be tempted to remove the brighter the brighter leaves in the background (particularly the one to the left of the bill) as they tend to draw my eye.

Thank you, Allen for your kind words.

Allen, Thank you for your thoughts and kind words. I will darken the leaves to the left of the bill. Bob

HI Robert
This shot does come under the title of a well photograph Great Egret. Taking you time a slowing down the shutter and ISO really paid off in this photograph. The reflection is great and the over all coloring of the Egret is a top 10.
Nice work.
Peter

Thank you very much, Peter. Bob Engle

Hi Robert,

I’m not a wildlife photographer really but I know this looks really pleasing! I would like to see a little tone in the background. I’ve done a tiny amount to lift the blacks. As long as there is some hint of tonality, they don’t need to be bright, just not total black… I put a grad over the foreground at the same time to even out the shadows…

Tim