Elemental Conflict

. .or, The Irresistible Force vs The Immovable Object
Sony A77
Sony 55-200 @ 140mm
ISO 400, 1/1600 @ f11
Dawes Glacier, Endicott Arm, Alaska
Nobody said how fast the water needs to be moving :stuck_out_tongue::wink:. Taken from a RIB on an up close look at the glacier. Hard to imagine the forces at play. We were lucky enough to see some iceberg calving but not lucky enough to capture it. Still a marvelous experience. Please view large. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Whoa, Bill. I like this immediately, even from the thumbnail size. I really like the contrast between the rock and the glacier. I love how the line where they meet is not a straight line but rather something that brings you across the entire frame. I would probably consider rotating this CCW to level that ā€œhorizonā€.

It sure is moving water! This needs to be viewed large. The dramatic colors really pop and look great. No nits here.

Impressive contrast between the rocks in the ice. The jagged horizon of water and floating ice creates a grounding layer. Large view is really pleasing. Although I havenā€™t been to this glacier I have been to others in Alaska. They are truly amazing.

Even though you can not actually see the forces of nature at work they are clearly evident with the glacial ice and rock, Bill. The details and textures were quite impressive when opening the larger version. Beautifully done.

Bill,

Motion implied. Check. Interesting how this image is a great display of the immense powers of nature, yet nearly 180deg out of phase from Johnā€™s ā€œThunderā€ post. Both get the message acrossā€¦ but one is an instant and time, and the other one simply represents timeā€¦

Can only imagine the sight and experience.

No nits or suggestions other than wishing for a bit more of the 'bergsā€¦

Lon

I love how motion is implied in this shot by the calved ice in the water. That ā€œiceberg blueā€ is always a pleasure to look at.
:vulcan_salute:

Bill, on first viewing my thoughts also went to the speed of the movement. :grin: The jumble of blue on the right is quite striking. I think you matched that very well with the rocks on the left and the floating ice at the bottom.

LOL, ture that glaciers moveā€¦

I love the color detail in the larger view Bill.

Cropping the bottom off would make for an intriguing abstract.