Elemental Conflict

. .or, The Irresistible Force vs The Immovable Object
Sony A77
Sony 55-200 @ 140mm
ISO 400, 1/1600 @ f11
Dawes Glacier, Endicott Arm, Alaska
Taken from a RIB on an up close look at the glacier. Hard to imagine the forces at play. We were lucky enough to see some iceberg calving but not lucky enough to capture it. Still a marvelous experience.There was one calving that resulted in a sizable wave being generated and we were happy we were in the RIB instead of a kayak. Please view large. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really fine view of the glacier and good entry for the challenge. Such a shame the glaciers are shrinking and disappearing.

Bill, when I first opened this up, the bottom was cut off, so I didn’t see the floating ice at the bottom. That view is also quite dramatic with the rugged rocks and the rugged glacier. The water at the bottom does a fine job of setting off the ice and stone. The blue tones in both the glacier and the icebergs make for a very chilly feeling.

Wow, Bill, this is really an nice view from what looks like down at the level of the water to get the floating ice. Such detail and color in the rocks and the glazier, I am just enjoying it. There is just so much to look at. :+1::+1:

A nice shot of one side of the glacier, Bill. The contrast between the rocks and the ice is nice. The saturation appears a bit strong (at least on my monitor) though. I noticed you managed to capture a couple seals in the ice flows also.