Inexorable

Taken on our Alaska trip in 2017 this is the Dawes Glacier at the end of the Endicott Arm. We were in a Zodiac instead of a kayak and it was good that we were since a fairly large iceberg calved shortly after this shot (I missed the calving :disappointed:) and we got to ride a pretty big wave. This was the first glacier we visited and the blue in the ice had to be seen to be believed. All comments welcome.>=))>

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

3 Likes

I really like the colors and the black curvy lines leading to the rocks behind. Very interesting picture you can keep looking and find different shapes and elements. Behind the glacier are cliffs? They seem a bit blue. I think that darkening them a bit and maybe lowing the blues on them might help the glacier stand out even more. It is a nice picture that will probably help document the time when we still had glaciers.

Wow, Bill, this is quite a nice image of that glacier. Made me go back to my Alaska trip photos from 2015, in Glacier Bay NP, but they weren’t as blue…mostly dirty white. Your inclusion of those contrasting mountains really frames the glacier nicely, and the two curvy dark areas provide nice leading lines into the background.

Great photo Bill, in my limited experience glaciers are difficult to capture in a way that shows the full, brutal beauty of the massive river of ice.
But this shot pretty well does that. I love the intense blues and as Jim says the curved lines lead you in very nicely.
Let’s hope we can save a few.

Bill, the blues in the ice show very well here. The ruggedness is also striking.

Bill, you captured this scene very nicely. I would love to go back to Alaska. When we went in 2006 I had very little equipment and knowledge. I love the blues in the ice.