Emerging

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While exploring Harris Beach I was almost ambushed by this emerging baby sea monster. I took a chance and grabbed a shot before fleeing for my life. All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G @ 105mm
ISO 400, 1/160 @ f11

Harris Beach in Oregon? Love your recognition of the nature of this little guy! I too saw a baby sea monster even before I read your description. I’m wondering how it would look converted to black and white?

Denise: Oregon it was. I had no idea it could be so dangerous :wink:

A great find, Bill, and I love your imagination. I would love to visit Oregon one day. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent, Bill. I love the monster, and the shutter speed you used makes just lovely streaks in the receding surf.

Bill, this is good fun. I was thinking “ugly ducking” from the thumb, based on the long neck and beak. Definitely a critter where you want to maintain you distance…

Bill, nicely seen and captured. I do like your composition, with the “monster’s” neck reaching out towards the shore, almost diagonally, with the white seafoam surrounding him. Could it be an undersea hatchling coming ashore to wreak havoc? :grin: As @Denise_Dethlefsen mentioned, I wondered about B&W conversion too, just to compare. Fun find!