Emerging

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was captured three days prior to my last post and is of the same cherry tree. The weather was perfect with a light drizzle and produced some wonderful colors. The blossoms were just beginning to emerge and were a lovely shade of white and pink pastels which I found to be very captivating. To me the image has this subdued peaceful vibe; which I find very inviting; along with an oriental mood.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 155 mm, f 11 @ 1/30 sec, ISO 400, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod.

A winner, Ed. I totally agree with your assessment of the image. The emerging blossoms are very pretty and love the lichen covered tree trunk.
:metal:

1 Like

Ed,

A great image that just begs to be seen as a large print to really appreciate the fine details. The full-size image though, seems like it is over-sharpened and chunky.

1 Like

A lovely image. I think filling the frame with the cherry tree works very well, as does the even lighting. Cherry trees are beautiful, but it can be surprisingly difficult to get good images of them

1 Like

Ed, I agree with what @Michael_Lowe , @Youssef_Ismail and @WillR have said about the compostion. There is a deleicate mode that sings. Having said that I still would like a little more color in the blossoms to pull them out of the background. I opened it in PS and used luminosity masking to mask just the blossoms and then lightened them just a bit. Here is the result and a screenshot of the mask. Take it with a grain of salt as just one way of looking at this wonderful image.

PS edit.
screen shot

1 Like

This has such a lovely mood. It’s very subtle. I don’t have a description for the mood, but it’s one that I love. I can feel the dimness of the day, the sense of the forest enveloping me.

1 Like

Ed: Oh this is FINE! Just frame filling fantastic. Well composed and superbly captured and presented. Bravo! >=))>

1 Like

I can only echo Ed. This is subtle, but beautiful in its complexity; a nice soft splash of spring. I think the placement of the trunk works very well.

1 Like

May I steel the words of Michael for this colorful spring opening image. Good as it is.

1 Like

I want to thank everyone @Michael_Lowe, @Youssef_Ismail, @WillR, @Barbara_Djordjevic, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Bill_Fach, @John_Williams and @Ben_van_der_Sande for your thoughtful C&C; it is always appreciated.

@Barbara_Djordjevic : Thank you for taking the time to do a rework with your tweak suggestion. I like what you have done.