Emulating Anil

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G @ 250mm
ISO 200, 1/40 @ f8

Anil Rao’s work with tafoni abstracts has always fascinated me so when I came across this area at low tide at Shore Acres SP in Oregon I used my long lens to extract a number of comps. This was my favorite. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Bill, this is very well done. The textures are amazing, with that area of purple triggering my sense of wonder about it’s source.

Haha, I like the title. I really enjoy the colors and different textures. The diagonal lines help sell the intentional composition. Ever try a very slight and gradual vignette to focus the eye a bit?

Nice textures and lines… The color looks fine to me. You might consider burning the top corners a bit, or the slight vignette suggested by Brent.

Nice job isolating these details.
-P

I’m enjoying this composition. My eyes are drawn back and forth between the striking purple of the lower left and the smooth, subtle shadows of the upper right. The two diagonal lines provide a visually pleasing separation of the two areas that really ties the image together.

I agree with others about darkening the bright areas around the edges. I’d possibly consider darkening the brighter purple area on the left edge so it doesn’t pull the eye toward the edge of the image.

Bill,

Great colors - and a great tribute. ditto to the comments and suggestion of a vignette. I think that’s just what the doc would have ordered.

The geologic layers are fascinating - making me want to know more about the history. Then again, it’s most certainly enjoyable as a nature abstract without any other knowledge.

Lon

Bill, a wonderful find here. The textures and wild lines, colors, and patterns make it the perfect abstract. And yes, does have that trace of Anil’s many posts of the tafoni. It was an immediate thought when I first saw this one. I will mention that the purple might be a leeching of leaf oils. I’ve seen that before in other photos…:+1: