Emulating Anil

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Anil Rao is one of my favorite artists from the old NPN days. His work with rock abstracts has inspired me to look for interesting scenes/extracts in rock faces. I found this one at Harris Beach in Oregon on my October trip. I liked the textures and details in the rocks and the tension between the fully illuminated face and the slightly shaded left side. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G @ 105mm
ISO 400, 1/320 @ f11

This is quite wonderful!! What grabs me is not so much the shapes but the level of tonal detail in the shadows. Nothing I would criticize about this one but I think you have a twofer by cropping the right 1/3 or 1/4 to give even more emphasis to the shaded areas.

I just read @Diane_Miller comment and found that I was looking at this completely differently. Though I like what’s going on in the shadowed area, the extent of the bright area keeps me from looking at it unless I really force it. Like Diane, I think you have at least two images in this frame. Just looking at the bright area, I cropped way down to the image below and I think you could do something similar with the shaded area.

1 Like

It’s a terrific shot, Bill. With your version, my only suggestion would be to crop out the small shadowed areas on the right side. They seem like orphans.

I also like Dennis’s crop. There are many things you could do with this one.

I like the relationship between the flatter/brighter surfaces against the darker and more angular sections. The image has depth to it due to those shadows and angles. The colors are just right. Too much saturation and they would compete for my attention. Nice work Bill!

Bill, I like the mix of light and dark, as well as the color changes in the rocks across the frame. My favorite part is the change in contrast from the shadowed area on the left to the warm, inviting hues in the middle, so I could see a square or 4x5 crop.