Endurance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken from Artist Point in Yellowstone NP during a workshop with David Kingham and Jennifer Renwick last fall. Jennifer loves this tiny, tenacious tree and has named it Fred.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is great

Technical Details

1/80 sec. f16, ISO 5000
Canon R6 with RF100-500mm lens

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Chris,
This is fantastic. I love the shape of the tree and the background. It’s difficult to determine whether the background is sky and swirling clouds or textures and colors on another wall of rock.

Initially, I was thinking a slight crop off the top might be nice, making it more of a lone tree. But I also like the square Zen-ness of it as is.

I played with with a square crop that keeps the zen and elimates the other trees, but it might feel too cramped now. Just a screenshot quickie but here’s an example of another possibility.

Thanks for introducing us to Fred!
ML

What a wonderful find!! I love tenacious little trees like this. You have presented it very well, and the dramatic BG fits so well! It could be interesting to make it even more gloomy.

I like @Marylynne_Diggs’ idea of a crop from the right but wouldn’t want to lose any of that amazing swirl of cloud/mist at the top. I think some could come off the bottom if you want to keep a 1:1 crop. Maybe just take some off the bottom and leave the right edge as it is.

@Chris_Baird the crop idea works nicely. Although if the “small” tree is compared to a “big” tree for the WC theme maybe a pano style crop works too?.. :thinking:

Chris: Oh this makes me want to go back to Yellowstone. I know this place but didn’t know Fred’s name. I love the BG of the falls and your SS renders it perfectly. Well seen and captured. >=))>

Lovely image, Chris. Love the soft feel from the lighting. The crop you’ve chosen works for me because, IMHO, it emphasizes the smallness of Fred. Nicely seen and captured.

@linda_mellor Yes, the crop I chose was to emphasize the smallness of the lone tree.

1 Like

@Marylynne_Diggs Thanks for your comments. I like the alternate crop you’ve suggested. It does emphasize the lone tree. However, I felt including more of the rock face and the large trees emphasized the smallness of the tree.

1 Like

@Bill_Fach @Diane_Miller @Paul_Breitkreuz Thanks for your comments and suggestions…so many ways to look at it.

Chris, Fred is phun! :wink: Is that the falls in the background? It looks like some kind of abstract artistic treatment. I will have to go looking for Fred.

I went to my photos of Lower Falls from last fall and easily found Fred! Those also show that the mist behind him is the flying swirl of mist that flies up from the base of the falls, so the textures there make sense.

@Mark_Seaver Thanks for your comment, Mark.