English Countryside

Image Description

Last summer we spent 5 months in England. One thing I really miss is their extensive network of public footpaths. They provide plentiful access and passage to the countryside without fear of trespassing. The scenery available by weaving in and out and around various farmlands and woodlands is sometimes stunning. On this day I took advantage of dramatic clouds to record this.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The reason I took this image was to capture the aesthetics of the sweeping crop field and the “angry” sky.

Technical Details

Lumix GX8, Leica 12-60mm @33mm
F5.6, 1/3200th, iso 200

Bill, this is a beautifully simple scene, from the simple 2 complementary colors, to the simplicity of that expansive filling field with sky. The lines in the field also draw my eye through the scene, to those clouds, which don’t seem all than angry to me! I wish there were a similar network of public paths in the US. Thanks for seeing, capturing, and sharing this scene.

1 Like

I rather like those rounded striated hills. This is like the British version of our La Palouse in a way. The contrasting moods of the hill vs sky is arousing. The two major colors work well also. If anything I would crop a bit from the bottom to remove those horizontal furrows as their color is slightly inconsistent. But that’s really being picky. The row of dark trees coming in adds a change in tonal value that adds some nice complexity to the composition.

1 Like

Bill, the big sweeping field of golden, harvested grain is set off very well by the threatening skies. The slope of the hill is reflected nicely by the dark cloud above.

1 Like

Bill, this reminds me of The Palouse region here in Washington State. Lovely scene. I get the sense of an afternoon storm on its way. The warm, cut field is great with the wheel lines leading us into the image. Awesome!

1 Like

Hi Bill, really enjoying this image. I like to browse through the thumbnails and when something catches my eye I follow it and it proved me right again today. The first thing I noticed were the beautiful, rich colors. The warmth of the field and the cooler. blue color of the sky the right. Loving the lines in the field and the tree line also leads the viewer to the blue area. There is an intensity in the sky I can literally feel. I wonder what the photograph would feel like if you would crop some off the top as I think that those really dark clouds don’t contribute as much to the image as the other, brighter clouds. Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you sincerely for your comments. Someone else commented that maybe cropping a bit off the bottom would help. I may try a version with the top and bottom cropped a bit, maybe a 9x16 format. If it works I’ll post it.