Enjoying Lunch

Found this Praying Mantis on our Black-Eyed Susans while watering the flowers the other day, so ran and got my camera. It wasn’t until I brought the photo up on the computer screen that I realized he was eating an ant or something.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the vignette work? I was trying to draw attention to him, and eliminate some of the greenery around him.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5D II, 100 mm L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with milk jug for diffuser. Handheld, f16, 1/125, ISO 160. Edited in LR and Topaz.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Mantis are fun to shoot, Shirley, partly because of how visual they are as the clearly turn and watch you, but often won’t move away. It looks like you’ve added a vignette (or is that flash fall off??), which focuses attention on it’s head and eyes nicely. The “lunch” is an good extra.

Thank you, Mark. Yes, that is a vignette. I was hoping it would draw the eye to the mantis’ eyes and face. Sounds like it is doing that.

Shirley: Praying Mantis can be pretty ferocious - I once saw a video of one taking down a hummingbird! - so whenever I encounter one and it looks at me I wonder if it’s just sizing me up for its next meal. Great capture of the moment and I like your presentation. Most excellent.>=))>

1 Like