Hanging Out

I took this shot in my flower garden this summer. I liked that the light was behind him, but, unfortunately it was harsh light.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does the square frame work? Vignette seem to help? I used it because I had a couple of branches and leaves that were at the edges and was distracting.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens, handheld, manual setting (except auto ISO) at f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 500. Edited in LR and Topaz.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Works for me. I really like the vignette. It keeps the attention centered on the mantis where it belongs.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Shirley: The light works for me. What a neat find and a pretty fearsome critter in the insect world. Top notch presentation IMO. :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

This is a nice sniper shot through the vegetation. Vignette works and the mantis has some ideal lighting on it. Well doneā€¦Jim

1 Like

I agree with everyone else, that the lighting works very well here, Shirley. The ā€œpeeking through the foliageā€ view with the mantis backlit really captures how most sightings of these critters happen.

1 Like