Epiphytes in Orlando, Fl

I captured these two orchid shots as they were growing on the tree at Harry Leu gardens. Unfortunately, they are isolated in the images and don’t show the trees to which they were attached. Which if either is preferable? Comments and critiques are appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D750 1/100 sec, 185mm (70-200mm f4 lens) at f4.0, ISO100!

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Larry: What a great find and such beautiful subjects. I do like both with a slight preference for the second. The only thing about the first image that puts it in second place for me is the bud stem extending out of the large bunch of flowers. I do like the single bloom off to itself and how you composed the shot. I did some quick and dirty content aware fill and cloning to show my suggestions. I’m enjoying your work. Keep 'em coming. >=))>

Thanks, Bill. I see what you mean about the stray limb that is a distraction. Fortunately, this is an easy fix. Thanks again. Larry

On the first image you could crop the larger grouping with a vertical format and eliminate the one flower on the left. That would result in a cleaner background as well. On the second image I would use content aware to eliminate some the the branches without flowers.

@Patricia_Brundage, I fully agree with your suggestions for cleaning up these two shots. Thanks. Larry

Larry : I think I prefer the second image, as in the first the lone flower at the bottom L looks a little lost. I also like the way the flowers seem to present themselves to the eye in the second image. The whites are very well handled and the bg works well.

Thanks, Ian. I appreciate your viewing and commenting on my image. Larry