Eucalyptus branch + RP

Brighter version as per Dennis’ suggestion:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was shooting at the egret rookery this morning, getting frustrated with crowded nests, when I decided to back off and shoot this dangling branch. Rather than take off the TC, I let LR stitch 4 horizontal frames. Every year out there I do at least one of these. This is a new (or maybe evolved) branch that I don’t remember from last year. BTW, these threes are just plain ugly as nest sites or perches, but there are a few options for flight.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon R5, RF 100-500 + 2X at 600mm, ISO 1250, 1/125, f/13. 4 frames stitched in LR and exposure down a little, then into PS for NR and retouching one spot where stitching didn’t match due to a little air movement.

1 Like

Lovely lines and beautiful simplicity in this image, Diane. I find myself thinking about playing with the blue a bit as this tone feels a bit dull to me. I don’t think I 'd want to go too far and lose the sky tone. Very well seen and executed.

1 Like

Quite elegant, Diane. It feels like a Japanese print, like an image that would be used on a screen. I’ve not thought of stitching an image vertically. Sound like a perfect solution for some of my hanging tree moss photos. Nicely done.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @linda_mellor!

Dennis, I’ve posted a livelier version above. It was very foggy and I had decided to go with the slightly gloomy look but I did a little brightening, color balance and saturation and I do think it’s improved.

Linda, I’d love to see some of your hanging moss images! Your Spanish moss is so much more elegant than our Lace Lichen out here.

Diane: My first impression with the thumbnail was that it was kind of dull but your repost fixed that nicely. I like how you’ve taken a rather mundane subject and made a compelling and interesting image. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks, Diane. I we are heading out of town in a couple of days, but when I get back I’ll dig them up.

I like the sky you chose for the repost, Diane. This would also look cool going totally black and white.

Diane, I will second @Bill_Fach and @Dennis_Plank comments.
:metal:

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Michael_Lowe! I hadn’t thought about B/W and will play with it later. It could be the way to go here. The sky color doesn’t feel right.