Eucalyptus Forest + RP

Edited to remove some of the branches on the left:

The original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve done some ICM lately and decided to go back to the older ones and delete some that hold no interest. But I also found some I had never processed, and this is one. From 2007. A single swipe.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 2.51.33 PM

Some contrast increase and distortion. Not much else.

1 Like

Very Cool. Im learning this technique of ICM and find it challenging and fun. Did you more the camera vertically and any lens pull. Really Nice !!!

Thanks, @Gill_Vanderlip! It is fun and frustrating at the same time! I always just do a swipe – never have tried changing zoom while moving. The wider angle the lens, the more you get flaring at the top and bottom. Our eyes/brains don’t easily recognize how much distortion there is in wide angle lenses.

Oh my. I thought it was a sunset and wondered why you posted it sideways.

1 Like

I really like the flow and light in this image, Diane. For me, the small side branches in the lower left seem to interrupt that flow, but I think they would be tough to remove.

Another beauty Diane! The color pallet is really nice and the orange trees (?) flowing past both top and bottom of the frame works well. It’s always nice to find treasures from the past!

Love the colors, Diane. The movement you’ve captured is just enough without too much blur. The hint of twigs in the background, at least for me, add a hint of reality. Beautifully seen and captured.

Truly wonderful Diane! I thought this was a detailed image of Horsetail Fall in Yosemite. Love the color combination in the image. I don’t mind the small branches but if you wanted to push this further into abstraction, they could be cloned out. And wow 2007! You were ahead of the game with ICM. Glad you found this gem in your catalog and shared it.

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov, @Steve_Kennedy, @Dennis_Plank, @linda_mellor and @Alfredo_Mora! I was wondering if the small branches should stay or not. There is a certain authenticity to them for people who are familiar with these trees, which can get pretty scruffy. I have removed the most awkward one and posted it above.

I did a lot of this back then – the limitations of senors and lenses mattered a lot less for this, and I loved the artistry. I did a long series called Forest Fantasy, and some are on my web site, in the Abstraction and Fantasy Gallery – with the older stuff at the end.

1 Like

The repost did the trick, Diane.

Diane,

Speaking of orange… I’ll repeat and mention firefalls. And to that, I thought…hmmmm for a firefall maybe the wider part of the orange motion should be at the bottom… check it out, flip this on the vertical and see what you think.

Just like your previous - LOVE the color combo you’ve presented. The combined textures and motion are working beautifully together. Glad you pulled this one from the archives!

Lon

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Lon_Overacker! I did think about a vertical flip – I’ll play with the idea. I have a feeling in that case I’ll wish I had made the sweep from bottom to top, though. A tree never looks right to me when I sweep up. But I have my eye on a eucalyptus grove that I’ll find time to visit in January and I’ll try to remember to try some upward sweeps for trees that are flaring out at the top.

This stuff is so variable that dozens of sweeps from the same spot and same focal length and aim will be so different – it’s hard to do any fine-tuning.