Eva's Fall B&W #2

As promised, here is a wider view of Eva’s falls.
Same camera and lens; f-16 @ 1/10s, ISO 100
Converted in PS-CC using a B&W adjustment layer. Ample use of TK’s luminosity masks, dodge and burn.

Here’s the tighter view I posted earlier.

Your thoughts are always appreciated. :smile:
–P

2 Likes

Wonderful capture, Preston! I checked out your previous post and have to agree that this wider view is much more pleasing IMO.

The b/w processing is quite nicely handled here. I really like the composition and how well the water flows from top to bottom. Viewing the larger image, you really get to appreciate the amazing textures and details in the rocks. Very nicely done! :+1:

Oh yeah. Much better IMHO
:vulcan_salute:

I think this is your best so far of these falls in b&w. Composition is pretty straightforward and solid and the bright whites have been handled perfectly, something that has been challenging for all 3 of you. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Definitely the ticket here, Preston. Love the larger view of the falls. I think there are two small eye grabbers along the bottom edge that I would remove (small white bits of foam, I think). Really nice.

Your best-so far. Hopefully more coming.

Yeah, I agree with previous posters, this framing is the best. Processing looks great. Only minor thought would be to take a small sliver off the bottom… to just above your watermark.

I agree with others and also prefer this version. Nicely done!

I’m a fan of this second one as well. I usually like a tighter abstract crop, but in retrospect, the first one might have had too much water without any particular pattern to hold the eye.

In this post, the rock to Water balance feels better and holds my interest longer.
ML

This is most definitely my favorite of what you have posted from your trip. I really like the comp and the processing looks spot on. I might clone out the white bubbles LLC, but really minor. This is most enjoyable.

Preston, the comparison is quite striking. I especially like seeing the outflow here, but don’t feel like the upper step is adding much, while your previous view emphasized the lower step well. This looks like a fun place to try lots of different views.

I think I like this wider view best. The contrast looks spot on. With the solidity of the rock elements I think that smoother water might have offered a bit more contrast, but that’s minor I just enjoy the layers of texture in this.

I relly love this photo; However, I’m a sucker for long exposure! With such strong texture in the rocks I feel like longer shutter speed could have made the water more appealing in the image! Great work!!

Preston,

Fabulous rendering of Eva’s Falls. the b&w processing here really captures the graphics, contrasts and tonal range - really emphasizing both the granite AND the falls. This is quite wonderful. I think the color version has it’s place in context of showing the granite and infused feldspar giving this rocks their pinkish coloration - which goes away with the b&w - which is perfectly ok in this presentation.

Mr. dust bunny must report though a dust spot in the LR portion of the main falls. No biggie unless of course you decide to print.

Great work here.

Lon

Thanks all for your comments on this one. I love this place (NPN)! :+1:

If one wants to learn, and get honest, and at the same time, kind critiques on your images, this is the place to be!

@Lon_Overacker: Looks like I need to clean my sensor, eh?
-P

Oh yeah, I much prefer this view over your original post. IMHO, this has so much more life to it. That might not make any sense, but I don’t know how else to describe it.