Evening Light On Bluebells

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In April I always make it a point to head over to Susquehanna SP in MD; half an hour from my house; to catch the bluebells blooming along the Susquehanna River. The sun sets behind the trees so there is usually some nice light then. This particular evening I noticed this tree with these spiral markings around it’s trunk and thought they would add some extra visual interest to the image.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 52mm, f 18 @ 1/4 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod, four image stack for DOF

2 Likes

Ed, what a peaceful moment you have captured. I like the touch of pink among the blue flowers. The three largest trees are nicely positioned in the composition. The mystery of the rings spices up the photo. Two minor thoughts come to mind. I would remove the branch on the right that goes out of the frame. I would also tone down the very top of the composition because the bright green foliage pulls my eye up there. This is just my reaction to a beautiful composition. Thanks for sharing it with us.

1 Like

Ed, this is a lovely, peaceful image. I agree with Barbara about the yellow-green at the top. It does pull the eye. Otherwise, the composition is well done. I’m unsure how I feel about the small trunk on the right. It adds a little balance to the scene. You might try removing it to see how it works for you, but I don’t think it’s essential.

1 Like

Ed, this is a great take on the fields of Bluebells. Having tried scenes like this along the Potomac many, many times, I know how hard it is to end up with an inviting view like this. The spirals around the center trunk are a good touch.

1 Like

Hi Ed :slight_smile:

I am a big fan of woodland images where there’s a nice thick, soft and plush carpeting of wildflowers like these bluebells!

There’s an optical illusion in this for me, that small, lone, light green leaf near the top of the image and in front of the larger tree on the right at first made me think that there was a hole in the tree until I looked closer :roll_eyes: (not a distraction, just an observation) :slight_smile:

It’s just a very nice, clean and colorful spring image! :slight_smile:
It must have been a nice feeling to observe this in person.

BTW, that spiral around the tree makes me think that someone had wrapped a rope around it to make that scar as the tree grew, then the rope rotted away?

Well seen and well done, Ed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many thanks everyone @Barbara_Djordjevic, @Susanna_Euston, @Mark_Seaver and @Merv for your thoughtful C&C on this image. Glad you enjoyed it.

@Barbara_Djordjevic and @Susanna_Euston : Cloning out that branch would make for a cleaner image, I just never got around to doing it. I will have to strike a balance with the illuminated trees as that is where the sun was setting.

@Mark_Seaver : I hear you. This is a very messy area with downed trees, sticks and limbs.

@Merv : The bluebells really transform this area in April. Glad you noticed that green leaf. I thought about cloning it out and decided to leave it as I thought the placement was interesting.

1 Like

Beautiful woodland scene. Woodland can be very tricky to photograph properly. I really like the blue bells surrounding the tree. I agree with the other commentator about the top of the frame. It just seem a bit too bright. Otherwise, it’s a great image.

1 Like

Congrats Ed. Excellent choice you made for the WC. I commend you for composing such an uncluttered composition. I have given up trying to do anything except macro/closeup.