Exfoliation

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I previously posted an image of this subject which I find quite embarassing now. I should have waited but was so excited that I hurried the process. I mostly reworked the colors and their intensity to a new and different interpretation. I still have another interpretation which I wish to post later.

Specific Feedback

I feel pretty good about this composition now. It would seem that a crop off the right would center the X in the composition and I debated about this. However, I’ve decided that I like the movement from the bottom right to upper left. I feel it adds vitality to the image. Do you agree?

Technical Details

GFX50R, 32-64mm, f/11, focus stacked.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Igor,

Yes, I do think this is a much better rendition of the sandstone than your previous version. I especially like the subtle variations in the tones found in the stone. They really stand out in this version. I am not sure what you are referring to by cropping. That would be such a heavy crop to get the ‘X’ more centered that it would drastically alter the whole composition.

1 Like

Igor, for me the photo is splendid as it is. The soft but high light and the low contrasts cooperate for the pastel colors and the pictorial look. I think there is nothing to change, there isn’t a nit. Splendid like all your portraits of rocks.

I think that this looks absolutely wonderful and I don’t think I could ask for anything more. The soft light really works well here and I the composition is well thought out – there is nothing missing nor is there anything extra that should be there. Really nice work!

1 Like

Definitely agree on the sweep of energy from the LRC to the ULC. I can see what you’re talking about with the X, but I don’t think that would work as well. Really lovely!

Igor, you’ve got a great collection of colors and shapes here, with the colors feeling natural. The eye flow from lower right moves well towards the upper left and then spreads out along that big arch. You’ve also got interesting details in both upper right and lower left corners. I do wonder about a slight dodging of the lower left corner. I looked up the earlier version and this one is much superior, both in the colors and in the crop.

Yes, the older version is embarrassingly bad. This isn’t a crop of that version. It’s shot from a different angle. It’s the entire raw file I’m pretty sure.