Exoskeleton?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am not sure if the is the skeletal to some insect, or a translucent looking insect. I am thinking it is the leftovers of an insect that has shed. Any thoughts?

Specific Feedback

If anyone knows what this is, I definitely would like to know that. Any feedback on the overall image as well would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV with Canon 100 mm f2.8 L macro lens with KX-800 twin flash 1/8th power with DIY diffuser, HH. Settings all manual including focus. 1/200, f10, ISO 160. Edited in LR, usual adjustments (highlight/shadows, a slight crop, etc.).

Oh very cool! Looks to be a spider exoskeleton - check out the jaws folded under where the head would be. Someone’s growing! I like it although I would have given more room in front than behind, but it may have been hard to tell which end was which! Very neat things you’re finding in the yard lately.

1 Like

Shirley, You Scared It Completely Out Of It’s Skin! :open_mouth:
Now it’s running around naked! :open_mouth:
Poor thing!

Seriously though, it’s a fine shot of a rarely seen by me exoskeleton.
Spot on DOF and I love the lighting! :slight_smile:
Nice green color, not overly saturated and the contrast looks good too!

2 Likes

Hi Shirly,
that’s a nice Macro shot. I like how the remnants of the insect are framed by triangle shapes.
The DOF is great.

:joy:

1 Like

It’s a very tidy spider. You can see how it emerged from the top, like Superspider! Maybe you’ll find it later. Well spotted, Shirley.

1 Like

Nice to connect with you again, Shirley. It’s been a long time. That’s on me as I took a year off from NPN in 2021-22. You have wonderful detail in the spiders bi-colored legs. Looks like the spider is high-tailing it out of the left corner of the image. Your comp works perfectly here, and the DOF is perfect. Wonderful image.

1 Like

Larry, welcome back to NPN! And thank you for viewing and commenting on this image. Much appreciated.