Explosive

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Chrissy and I often celebrate our anniversary on the Oregon coast. In 2015 we made our second trip to Shore Acres SP. I had no idea about King Tides but dumb luck took us there on a day that the tides were high along with a high surf warning. It was the most spectacular surf show I’ve ever seen and the sound of the crashing waves was awesome. I’ve been back a number of times but nothing has ever approached this experience. I have a trip scheduled for the October King Tides (10/18-19) and hope for high surf as well and the opportunity to shoot it from my drone. I’ll have to remember to stay high. The lone gull looks like he almost got swallowed up.>=))>

Specific Feedback

Pretty flat light but was still able to get sufficient SS to stop the action.

Technical Details

Sony A77
Sony 70-400 G @ 70mm
ISO 200, 1/500 @ f8

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This shows the awesome power of the wave Bill. It shows how those rocks can get carved up live they are. The tiny little gull is a nice touch to show the size and power of this wave.

You truly froze the wave and captured the full force of the wave. I happened to be there in early June and the king tides were booming over 2 days. I was unable to obtain a photograph even close to your winner. However, I did get soaked by one massive wave…

If that power could only be harnessed. It looks like part of a giant storm hitting the rocks. Really looks huge. Did you get the top of the wave, or did you crop it? A drone would be the way to go. It took a sec to see the gull, but it does look like it’s about to get a shower at least. It does look a little flat. Could you add a little saturation or color maybe to the sky. Still looks mighty powerful. Thanks