Fading gracefully

I bought this Paper White plant several weeks ago and have been enjoying watching the little buds bloom. About a week ago the budding stopped and the leaves began to turn and fade.

I was captivated by the changing leaves and knew I had to photograph it. It is approx. 20" tall. I set it up in my studio, knowing I wanted to do a very slight ICM to add some movement and also energy.

Post-processing; LR increased vibrancy. PS; rotated slightly to correct for leaning leaves, added curve and selected color (for background) adjustment layers.
Does this work better as is or would a closer, more abstract, crop be more striking, for you? Is the color too intense? Does the ICM work?
Any and all other thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Nikon D7200, f/11, 1.3sec., iso 317, 28-300mm @ 78mm. Tripod with natural lighting.

Is this a composite? No

3 Likes

Linda, I really like this. The movement and the colors. Everything works for me. Very creative.

Linda: I like this very much as presented. There’s a nice, “How did she do that?” mystery about it. I don’t think you can go wrong with abstracts like this, not to say they are easy because they’re not but because it’s all artist’s preference. A tighter crop would be cool too and I would love to see that as well. Most excellent. :+1: :+1:>=))>

re-post - cropped just for fun:

2 Likes

Thank Bill. Yes, it is fun to just get lost in the possibilities.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, glad you like it. Fun stuff.

1 Like

This is an exquisite photo! Very beautiful and evocative. I prefer the original to the crop.

Linda, the image works very well! It is a very well presdented abstract. Almost looks like flames. A very minor adjustment would be to elimiate the yellow part at the lower center.

This is simply gorgeous!!! The very subtle ICM is perfect. I prefer seeing the whole plant in the original. It makes the effect even better for me but I’m at a loss of words to explain why – something about having a better idea what it is, which makes the effect even more wonderful.

Thank you @Tony_Siciliano, @Diane_Miller and @Ola_Jovall. I’m glad you like it and appreciate you very kind comments. And yes, Ola, I can see your point about the small tip of the yellow leaf in the bottom lower portion of the image and will give that a try also. Thanks again.

Wonderfully creative. The leaves look like colors flames. Great colors.

Thanks Chris. Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the leaves looking like flames.

Linda, I love the creative aspect of this shot. As soon as I viewed it I had to see more and the appearance of moving flames added interest. Wonderful!
Wayne

Thank you, John, for your kind thoughts.

Brings me into your fantasy world. Love it!

Thanks Patricia, glad you enjoyed it>

I prefer the original crop. The space at the top gives the “flames” room to move. Very well composed and gorgeous color.

Thanks @Don_Jacobson, I do prefer the first image and agree with your sense of space. Only wish I had cloned out the little yellow leaf in the lower center portion on the image. I see you’re from Portland, Or… …one of our sons lives there, so we been there many times and love the lush green foliage. Thanks again for your kind comment.

This takes plant photography to another level. Your planning definitely paid off. This presentation is quite magical.

Thank you, Tony. It was a fun exercise for me and did turn out better than I had expected. Appreciate you thoughts.