Winter Bloom

With winter here and no snow to shoot, I thought I’d get to know my macro lens a bit more. These are Paperwhites shot with natural light incoming from my dining room window and partially blocked with a sheer drape. Have done little with macro floral work, but do enjoy it. Any advice on compositions and lighting are welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
105 Micro-NIKKOR f/2.8; iso 64; 1/5 @f/8.0. D810.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jim_mcgovern_photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A pleasing subject, with really nice lighting, Jim. For me, I think I would have preferred more DOF, and at ISO 64, you probably could have bumped that up a few stops without dealing with noise, and set the f-stop at maybe f16, and then both of the bottom blooms would have been sharper. Maybe that wasn’t the affect that you wanted, and just having the more left be the subject. I do like the light from the window though. It really is nice.

Hi Jim,

More DOF will help your composition. The colors and soft BG provide some warmth to thjis winter days. I like the natural lighting too–nice and soft…Jim

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman and @Jim_Zablotny…I wish I would’ve bracketed aperture higher. I’ve just learned that our puppy has eaten the plant, so my opportunities for re-shooting are not going to happen! Argh.

I couldn’t help but chuckle when I read that your puppy had eaten any chance of you having another photo shoot with that lovely flower, but at the same time, hoping that the event doesn’t make your puppy sick. So many times after it is too late to shoot the same shot again, I regret I didn’t use a different setting, but I think that is how we grow as photographers. Next time, hopefully we don’t repeat the same mistake. Still a lovely shot.

1 Like

I am enjoying the softness of the image and the resulting mood it provides. Your foreground blooms are in focus and the oof blooms support the composition. Lovely feel to this image.

Jim: I bet you told your teachers that the dog ate your homework :wink:. I like this very much as presented with your DOF/POF choice. We have some of these growing wild in our garden and they are usually the first heralds of spring but so far no flowers. Your image makes me want to watch ours carefully. Nicely done. >=))>