Faithful Herald

Our garden was pretty devastated by the severe Christmas freeze but no matter how cold the winter these little snowdrops and our paper whites always are the first to bloom. This year the snowdrops came in first and this is the first flower of what promises to be a nice crop.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Used a very shallow DOF to keep the BG soft. Is the leaf in the LLC too heavy?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/250 @ f5.6

3 Likes

Oh this is lovely. Quite a demure beauty. Reminds me of Lily of the Valley in the position of the flower. The simplicity of the lines is something to behold. Sharpness looks excellent, but I wonder about a couple things. Should the bud be the brightest part of the photo or the open blossom? I think it needs more room a the top. The lighter leaf exiting the frame could probably go and not be missed. Really lovely. Won’t be seeing anything like this until April at least.

Beautiful lighting, Bill. I like how the stem/leaves are positioned to focus right on the little flower. No, the leaf in the LLC does not bother me at all. It is so soft and dark, I hardly noticed it. I am jealous you have flowers blooming already. The bluebonnets have just now begun to show themselves.

A wonderful find this time of year, Bill. So glad that you are able to get out and shoot again, too. I am good with the leaf in the LLC. I could see a bit more room at the top for the top of the flower. When enlarged, I see what looks like a hair on the top of the flower that probably wasn’t even visible for you to see before capturing. Not sure if you can clone it out, or not. I like how the leaves on both sides of the flower frame it in nicely, even leaning in the same direction as the flower. Nice shot.

Great image love the balance with the hint of leaf on the right
Steve

Lovely composition, Bill. I like the leaf on the left and right side that frames the center very well. I enjoy the colors of the flowers very much. Nice photo