Failure of Friction

Not far from the shot in Massive Dynamic is this little footbridge probably constructed by kids from the condo buildings right near the trail. It’s the complete opposite of that big railroad crossing so I thought it would make a nice contrasting photo. The brook that runs into the Merrimack river is roaring and this little bridge in danger of washing away. I pulled it up as far as I could, but I don’t know its ultimate fate. I never saw it again.

Specific Feedback Requested

Ideas, thoughts…anything useful is ok.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and a polarizer.

Processed in Lr for some wb adjustment as well as the usual edits for white and black points, texture, clarity, lens correction and sharpening.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris, this is a fun change-of-pace, feeling very ad hoc and homemade. The scattered leaves are a fine addition and contrast well with the rushing water.

Very effective settings! The water’s speed makes me not want to cross what seems like a somewhat frail bridge! Kids are brave!

Very interesting bridge! The leaves and wet look are perfect. I love how the bridge disappears from the frame with no clue what is beyond. Makes it a little scary. Not sure I’d want to see a kid crashing into the water there.

I like this image with its three distinct different areas, crossed by the bridge that disappear out of the image. And of course the leaves are great.

Thanks everyone! I loved this little bridge, which when the stream isn’t in an uproar, is perfectly usable. But on this day it was crazy with water and it probably did get sucked downstream and into the river. The Merrimack empties into the Atlantic in…I think Newburyport, MA so it’s probably in the ocean by now. Poor little bridge.

The leaves were there because it was fall and totally not staged.

Even if the water was running a little calmer, I wouldn’t be brave enough to cross this.
I love the mystery of not knowing where the bridge is leading. The leaves and mossy rock in the foreground is the icing on the cake.